Culture and Cities - The Umeå University Workshop
The last call of this project is now complete. We thank you all for your applications.
Announcement of funds for initiating research projects and travelling to conferences with special focus on the role of culture in cities, cultural capitals and Umeå 2014
During 2014, Umeå was one of the Cultural Capitals of Europe. The year during which Umeå held this status meant that the city, and especially the city’s cultural life, was displayed in a unique way. For this reason it is essential that Umeå University’s research focus on culture and the role of culture, how it affects – and is affected by – society, is strengthened.
For this reason funds have been allocated from the so-called “strategic resource” of the Vice-Chancellor of Umeå University with the purpose of:
- Increasing the mobility and contact surfaces between Umeå University and other universities where research in the above mentioned fields is conducted;
- Stimulating research in this field at Umeå University;
- Increasing the number of applications from Umeå University to research councils and external actors; and
- Increasing the collaboration across faculty boundaries within Umeå University.
The call entails two kinds of funding:
- Funding of wages for one to two research month (maximum SEK 75,000) to be used by the latest September 30th, 2016, for initiating or further elaboration of research projects of relevance for the theme of the call. Applicants should be employed by Umeå University for the duration of the research period and they should have a PhD degree. Researchers who are granted funding are required to participate in seminars and conferences organized within the framework of this research initiative during 2016 Applications (max. 3 pp.) should include a project description explaining the purpose, problem area, and current state of knowledge, the multidisciplinary context, the form of reporting and an account indicating from where possible future research funding might be obtained. A short description of the project (max 200 words) in both Swedish and English should also be added and will be used on the web page. In addition, all participants should submit their CVs and certificates showing the approval of the heads of department by which they are employed.
- Travel funds for postdoctoral employees and PhD students at Umeå University to be used for participation in international conferences relevant for the theme of this call. Researchers who have obtained research months through this call and who present the results of their research at conferences will be given priority. Researchers who have been granted funding are expected to participate in seminars and conferences that are organized within the framework of this initiative during 2016. Applications should contain a budget, motivation, CV, and proof of accepted presentation. Maximum amount available: SEK 10,000.
Applications should be sent to:
The Registrar, Umeå University,firstname.lastname@example.org, at the latest by January 22, 2016 in a PDF file. Mark your application with “FS 2.1.6-1885-15 Utlysning inom ramen för kulturhuvudstadsforskningsprojektet” Note that you will not receive a confirmation.
Evaluation and decision
Applications will be assessed by the steering group of the project “Umeå 2014 – research initiation for furthering multidisciplinary research into the significance of culture for societal development with special focus on cultural capitals and Umeå as a cultural capital in 2014” that has been appointed by the university Vice-Chancellor. The group will also decide about the grants.
Projects, journeys or conferences that have been granted funding should submit an account in the form of a short report before 2016-10-15.
For questions and further information about the project or for enquiries about project proposals please contact: Katrin H. Sten, Research co-ordinator, Cerum, +46 90 7865976, email@example.com.